Sunday, July 24, 2011

Deiva Thirumagal: Remake - A false accusation


After watching the Tamil movie - "Deiva Thirumagal" I wrote in my social network pages as below...

"Deiva Thirumagal (Tamil: தெய்வத்திருமகள், English: Holy Daughter of God) can be described in one word - "BEAUTIFUL"..."

But then my friends were displeased with my comment and said that I have to see the English movie "I am Sam", as Deiva Thirumagal is a remake of I am Sam and that I am Sam is a better movie.

So as my friends suggested I saw "I am Sam" yesterday and here is my opinion...

Deiva Thirumagal is still "Beautiful" for me...

What I can say is that Deiva Thirumagan is not a complete copy of "I am Sam", because although the idea is the same, situations are different and the characters and their backgrounds are different. I think the Tamil movie does justice to the original...

A little comparison I made... [I am Sam vs Deiva Thirumagal]

The mother of the little girl runs away vs The mother of the girl dies giving birth to the baby.

The protagonist has 7 years old maturity vs 5 years old maturity

The little girl is embarrassed about her daddy vs She is not embarrassed (atleast there were no scenes depicting such a thing).

The lawyer is one of the best vs The lawyer is still trying to make it in her career and is running after clients.

The child care takes the child away vs The mother's family take the child away.

The girl is more mature at 7 years and she even makes a plan to get away with her father vs The girl is innocent and naive and she doesn't even know the reason why she is separated from her father.

In "I am Sam" I didnt like the camera that was moving all the time. Close ups, movements and all... vs The scenic locations of the first half were cool and calm.

However, I liked the second half in "I am Sam". I liked the climax more than the one in Tamil. It was positive in "I am Sam".

Even if the above points are not considered, the music in the Tamil movie is brilliant and is worth a watch in theaters. I am sure that some of the tunes are copied, but still the movie and music go well together.

To conclude, I would say that both are masterpieces... But Deiva Thirumagal had much more kindness, innocence, love and was "Beautiful".

No comments:

Post a Comment